top of page


Music is an integral part of group fitness and can add to the already great experience provided by your studio location. Part of using music in group fitness classes is ensuring that you are compliant with copyright law through the securing of public performance licenses. This is necessary so that music copyright owners can be appropriately paid for their work.

Please note that the information provided is intended to be informational only and is not intended to serve as legal advice. For legal advise please consult an attorney or the Performing Rights Organizations directly.

How RockMyFitnessStudio Can Help

RockMyFitnessStudio is a commercial and business music licensed service, meaning that if you are only using music in an open gym or locker room area then you do not have to secure any additional licenses. However, if you are using music as a part of group fitness classes then your business does have to secure public performance licenses in order to be compliant with copyright law. Please note, the public performance license is a requirement from the licensing agencies, not from RockMyFitnessStudio. RockMyFitnessStudio is not able to provide these licenses on your behalf as the licensing agencies use business-specific factors when determining the cost.

Why FOUR Licenses Are Necessary

SESAC, ASCAP, GMR, and BMI all represent different artists. To ensure that you can play any artist regardless of who they are signed with, it is highly recommended to secure all four licenses so your business is fully compliant.

How to Secure These Licenses

To obtain proper music PERFORMANCE licensing for your studio(s) you will need to complete appropriate forms with ASCAP,  BMI, GMR, and SESAC. ASCAP, GMR, and SESAC have the entire process online. For BMI,  you must complete a paper form and FAX it (or upload it).

Frequently Asked Questions

bottom of page